Jerusalem, Holy Sites and Oversights

Monday, April 4, 2022

Domes of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre


 

Taken from the rooftop of St. Saviour, at New Gate, within the Latin Quarter of Jerusalem’s walled city. Notice the scaffolding on the dome of the Catholicon. The large dome covers the Edicule.


Today’s brief photo blog is supposed to start up a set of records of things learned (and unlearned) over a three decades long stay in the Holy City, understandings of my own illustrated in photographs to share with family and friends. I’m thinking it will include developing musical tastes, a fascination for eight-sided objects, and a love of spring wildflowers. It will be noncommercial with no advertisements anywhere in sight.

But it can hardly ever be forgotten for long that Jerusalem is a city enjoyed and venerated by followers of three Abrahamic religions, and if you are going to live here happily you have to learn to respect them or at least come to terms with them. I would say the first step is to pay attention, learn about them, and then you’ll see how interesting they can be and maybe even recognize what they might be good at and good for.


Nothing will ever be required of you, my dears, but if you are human and would like to comment in the comment box, please do. And bear in mind, if the captchas are turned on there is good reason — I detest spam — so please be patient with them, and be prepared to wait a day or two before seeing your comment on the screen.


Blogging is my social medium. I won’t ever go back to Facebook and I’ve never felt tempted to tweet or twitter. I prefer to talk awhile without feeling hurried. I’ve never been a slogan shouter or placard waver, as much as I would like to change the world and clear the way for every peaceful and beneficial pursuit.

Okay, let’s get this going! 

There, done.

§   §   §


A book I wish I could loan to you

David Stephenson, Visions of Heaven: The Dome in European Architecture, Princeton Architecture Press (New York 2005). Awe inspiring and sometimes gasp-worthy photographs of dome interiors. It’s almost as if you’re standing beneath them.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Scholem Room Reboot

The National Library has moved the Gershom Scholem book collection out of its old dark and crowded quarters into a bright and open new room ...